A church stood in Bedale at the time of the Domesday Survey, along with a mill, on estate granted to Bodin by his half-brother, Count Alan le Roux. In 1291 the benefice was valued at £80.

St. Gregory’s is a large church with architectural features of successive periods, including a 14th-century south aisle and a commanding 15th-century tower. A fragment of a 9th-century stone cross is displayed in the north aisle and two pairs of effigies from the 14th and 15th centuries now lie at the west end of the nave, having been moved there during the 19th century from their earlier position in the chancel [1]. In the chancel are highly-decorative 14th-century sedilia with crocketed finials above each canopy.

In the floor of the north aisle is a large, rectangular monument, elaborately carved in relief from marble and commemorating Thomas Jackson, who died in 1529.

The level of the earlier and more steeply-pitched roof is marked high on the east wall of the tower, descending to a level immediately below the later clerestory.

Immediately opposite the south door (unusually placed in the south wall of the tower), is a 14th-century wall painting of St. George. Having undergone more recent restoration, the colours are deep and the facial features are distinctive. Other wall paintings include a 14th-century Annunciation above the chancel arch and post-Reformation painted texts on the south wall of the south aisle.

The east window of the south aisle is a colossal area of geometric tracery and may have been removed here from nearby Jervaulx Abbey [2].

Furnishings in the choir are by Robert (Mousey) Thompson of Kilburn.

To fully appreciate the size, splendor and features of historical interest in St. Gregory’s, several visits would be necessary.

Few parish churches in England are dedicated to St. Gregory and Bedale is one of only two in Yorkshire, the other being at Kirkdale.
[1] Butler, L. (ed.) 2007, The Yorkshire Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne (1825-1874): Yorkshire Archaeological Society (Boydell & Brewer, Suffolk)
[2] Pevsner, N. 2002. The Buildings of England: Yorkshire – The North Riding (Yale University Press)